2017 Liebster Award
The other day I was nominated for the Liebster Award by my fellow travel blogger, Sonder Out Yonder! I am so honored – Thanks Jenna! I feel like this means that I am getting somewhere with this whole blogging thing! Check out Jenna’s website and read her post about the award.
About ‘Sonder Out Yonder’
Jenna is a current University student in her home country of Australia and she is in the process of getting her Bachelor degree in Social Work. She started her travel blog to inspire other students, like her, to travel. She is trying to travel as much as possible and refuses to let the fact that she is still in college stand in her way. Gotta admire that!
What is the Liebster Award?
Have you heard of the Liebster Award? Chances are that if you are a travel blogger you will be nominated at some point if you haven’t been already. I had never heard of it before I was nominated. Basically it is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers. It lets bloggers pay it forward so that newer bloggers can get noticed in the vast blogosphere. There are a lot of us out there and it is hard to get noticed. I will take any help I can get!
How Does it Work?
This award works like a chain mail.
When you get nominated, you can accept the award and nominate other bloggers for it. To accept the award, you need to write a blog post to:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you for the award and write a little blurb about their journey.
- Answer a list of questions from the blogger about yourself.
- Nominate new bloggers for the award and come up with questions for them!
The award may sound meaningless to some bloggers because it does not come with a trophy or prize. If you fall under this camp, you can ignore the blogger who nominated you too. Just continue blogging as if you didn’t receive the nomination. But what is the fun in that? It is just a couple questions!
But, I won’t disappoint Sonder Out Yonder, who nominated me. I initially met her because she’s in my very first Instagram Pod, and all the members became pretty good digital friends already!
Ways To Get Nominated
To grow your travel blog, you need to connect and network with other travel bloggers.
Do you know more than 5 travel bloggers on a personal level? I don’t…not really. If you are just starting out like me, the answer is most likely a “no” for you too.
Well known travel bloggers like Nomadic Matt started out the same way we all do. Networking with others.
Having a strong relationship with other travel bloggers brings about collaboration and cross-promotion opportunities. Surrounding yourself with bloggers who are also growing their blog keeps you motivated too. Being in travel groups, like Girls Love Travel (for example) helps to serve as a motivator and networking tool, too. So try to get involved in some travel groups on Facebook!
Participating in Liebster Award is a good starting point for networking. It gives you the opportunity to start conversations with other travel bloggers.
When a blogger nominates you, they’ll provide you with 10 questions that you will need to answer about yourself and your travels. The questions you receive and will be asking the other bloggers that you nominate in a Liebster Award blog post help others get to know you and begins the networking process. You can even use them as conversation starters in the future!
10 Questions Assigned to me
- What is your absolute favourite blog you have ever posted? Link it too.
I haven’t written all that many blog posts yet, but I think my post on Ireland is probably my favorite. I got to relive my entire trip, and it was a seriously amazing trip. I love Ireland!
- Who or what inspired you to start a blog?
I really have been wanting to do one for a while, but who pushed me over the edge was my Aunt Schelley. She is very supportive of my travels and solo adventures.
- If you could speak any other language fluently, what would it be?
French. I took 8 years in school and studied abroad in Paris in 2009, but I haven’t had the chance to practice since, so it has kind of fallen by the wayside. But I really would love to be fluent one day. It is such a beautiful language.
- What country scares you the most to travel to?
I’ve never really thought about it. I’ve never really considered going to the Middle East because there are so many other countries on my list first, but probably some of those countries due to the unrest there. I do want to go to Israel some time, but am a little hesitant for the same reason.
- If you were not writing a travel blog, what kind of blog would you write?
I would probably write a blog of short stories or something. I am not the best writer or anything, but I have a crazy imagination and I just really like to write!
- Your favourite country? You can only choose one!
Don’t do this to me! Pick only one?! Ahh, well this answer changes depending on the day and where I most recently traveled to, but…I’ll say France. It was the first place I traveled to solo and the place I studied abroad. I have such fond memories making friends, going out to Queen on Wednesdays, going to wineries, eating French food and having picnics on the lawn of the Eiffel Tower. Because of my time living there, it will hold a special place in my heart!
- If you could travel the world for one year with one celebrity, who would it be?
Hmmm…Kristen Bell. She is hilarious, married to a hilarious dude (Dax Sheppard) and she is socially and environmentally conscious, so we can do ocean cleanup or something while out there!
- What is the first word that comes to your head when I say…………… Dallas, Texas!
Home! Born and raised and still live there.
- What is the first stereotype you think of when you think of Australia?
All the animals/insects/reptiles that can kill you! I HATE spiders and I know Australia has a ton of huge spiders. I get the chills just thinking about it.
- Nepal or Indonesia? Why?
Indonesia! It is really high on my list. I’d love to go to Nepal. My friend just went there and hiked to base camp of Everest. But I chose Indonesia because I love scuba diving and I know there are a lot of great dive spots there. Plus…the beach!!
- Looking Through The Lens: Blog
- Unity Photo: Blog
- A Side of Sunsets: Blog
- Brilliantly Boho: Blog
- That Anxious Traveller: Blog
- Where Goes Rose: Blog
- Traveling Female: Blog
- Escape on a Dime: Blog
- Adventures Kotli: Blog
- A Map, Fork and Cork: Blog
Questions for my Nominees to Answer:
- What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
- What is the best memory that you have while traveling?
- What is the scariest thing you have experienced while traveling?
- Name the top 3 most beautiful beaches you have visited:
- Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
- If you had to pick one country to live in (not your own) for a year, which country would you pick and why?
- What is the luckiest thing to have happened to you while traveling?
- Which travel destination most exceeded your expectations?
- Beach or Mountains? Why?
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
I look forward to getting to know you all more! It is difficult to grow a blog in this day and age. Nurturing your relationships with other bloggers helps!